Grow your own Baobab
Pre-treatment of the seeds is necessary in order to obtain
fast and even germination:
- Cut seed coats with a knife.
- And/Or boil seeds for 5 min. in water.
- Soak the seeds in water for 3 days.
- Mix 3 parts of soil with 1 part sand and 1 part compost.
- Sow 1 to 2 seeds in a 20 cm pot.
- Water seeds every other day.
- Germination begins after 8 days.
When 2-3 pairs of leaves have grown, seedlings are
ready for planting out.
Please note: Baobabs are not winterproof (< 12 °C)
Reproduction in nature
Fruits develop 5 or 6 months after flowering. Sometimes the heavy fruits fall the woody husk often fractures and termites enter and devour the fruit pulp and free the seeds. The fruits are eaten by monkeys, squirrels, rats and sometimes by elephantes. They disperse the seeds.